Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Second Surgery

Before the surgery

You'll need to read some from my first surgery experience to understand what's up with this. (Click on that highlight to access this)

After the surgery, didn't I look like unn high drug?

HAHA! See the wire straight up? The coil is a magnet and it stuck to the lid because it's metal!

My second surgery has ended! I'm home and resting. Wow, the surgery took longer than first surgery last January. My first surgery has took about a little less longer than second because the surgeon had to cut a nerve for my taste. (Annie didn't tell me until I ate something!!) I'll tell you more later on that.

Anyway, I was brought to the recovery room. Well, I had hard time recovering because I felt pain behind my ear and nausea! I was not feeling GREAT. Nurse said I was still on Stage 1, haven't transfer to Stage 2 yet which Annie was not here. I ended up stayed there for about three hours! That was double longer than my first recovery!

It was very different experience for me between first and second surgery. It's so funny because it's only six months apart even same surgeon. (Of course, different nurses, OR, anesthesiologist, etc). Still they are nice and friendly. And my interpreter was MUCH better and I liked her lots. She was so nice and made sure everything okay with me.

Well, I got home and couldn't keep my eyes open so had to take a nap. I had hard time to find comfortable to sleep with a cup on my right ear PLUS I have to be elevated. UGH! At least I got some sleep and woke up feeling much better. So I have been up since from that nap. I put my cochlear implant on. AHH, I was able to hear the movie! Not like first surgery! Whew! Interesting, it didn't affect anything much as Steve was curious about.... OH I ate a few of pretzel with peanut butter, ramen noodles, and ice cream! Well, I want more... I want to eat something.. UMM what's next to eat? That shows I'm okay.

Oh about my taste, I got home I feel something in my mouth--obviously I wanted something to eat or drink. I ended up had a popsicle--a orange. I was so happy because I was able to taste the orange. I told Annie about it. Annie's facial expression changed to a giggle. Something going on here. I asked her why it was funny? Annie asked me funny question, can you taste a whole like right side of tongue, etc. I was puzzled and tried what she told me to do.. I think I can taste all of side. I was curious. Annie told me that the surgeon emphasized not to tell me UNTIL I commented about taste. UH?! Annie explained what the surgeon told her. Basically he had to cut a nerve of taste because it was blocking him from inserting the electrodes. He moved the nerve and sewed it back together. He didn't want me to know about it because I would probably look for it and complained or call him or freak out. He said maybe it wouldn't affect me, so wait and see what I say about it.

Interesting!! That's why my interpreter made that expression when I was drinking ginger ale and cookies, and I talked about I was glad it tasted fine! She was with Annie when the surgeon talked to Annie. Hahaha, everything made sense to me. She was sneaky!!

Alright, I'm done with this. I want to find something feed my stomach!

3 comments:

Tami said...

I'm so glad you are recovering from your second surgery! I can't wait to read about more improvement in your hearing! I love your blog.

grant said...

I am glad that you are feeling well enough already to type such a long message. I am glad that you can still taste!!

(this is really Missy, not Grant)

Tim said...

so glad that everything seemed to go well!

 
Little Leaps | TNB