Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

An Explanation for Nicole


I wanted to put something on that page. I remember I did have some picture of Nicole. I know you will kill me for this. But it brought many good memories!! Oh gosh, I never forgot that day when we left for overnight hiking.. OH MY, it was FREEZING day even it’s in JULY! I couldn’t remember who but told us that we can sleep in after we got back from hiking. Thank you for being my wonderful friend, Nicole. :D I need to get Amy to read this so I can put another embarrassing picture of her. :D

Anyway, Nicole has some questions about mapping and programs and how it works. I’m going to explain some more for her since family have advantage while Nicole don’t have that, because I haven’t talked to her face to face.

I asked Annie to type... It’s complicated, so I will sign and Annie will type.

It’s kind of confusing with programs and mapping. Mapping means I have to go to the audiologist to set the stimulation of each channel of the cochlear implant. The way he sets it up becomes a map, which is also called a program. My cochlear implant processor (on my ear) can hold four programs. The first time I went for mapping, he asked me to tell him when sounds were comfortable, and he set that as my first program. He made programs 2, 3, and 4 exactly the same, except each a little louder. So I started on program 1 and worked my way up through the programs, one each day.

When I went for the second mapping, he asked me to try to balance the channels (each channel is a frequency band, some low, some mid, some high), so that they were all the same loudness. That became program 1. Again, programs 2, 3, and 4 were each a little louder. This time, I changed programs every two days.

At the third mapping, he just made it a little louder than the old program 4, and that became the new program 1. Then he set program 2 a little louder. He didn’t put anything on programs 3 and 4... Maybe I will reach the goal of 25-35 dB with program 2. Because I was almost there with program 4 from the second mapping (that’s the audiogram on my other post).

I hope that helps.

0 comments:

 
Little Leaps | TNB