This week I finally started my practicum at a school. I have been waiting for my teacher to get more information about the schedule and who I will work with for my practicum. This teacher is really suck. He never gets it done on time. I requested for practicum hours at end of August and hoping that I would start first or second week of quarter for school. Did I started on time? Nope. I just started last Tuesday and it's almost October. I was supposed to earn 150 hours by November 1st. I guess it's impossible since I only can do on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Lucky I earned 25 hours last spring. But still I need to worry about 125 hours to be completed by on time. Lucky I have a wonderful skill was to complain. I complained that it's not my fault etc. He said I can do my best even after the due. He was forced to be flexible with due etc. Still it's very stressful to make sure I can get it done by on time.
Okay, I'm not going to complain because it's not what I wanted to say in this blog. :D Last Tuesday I was very nervous going to that school. I ended up helping two teachers. Both teachers were very nice and liked them. Both have completed different personalities and how to teach the children. The morning was not that bad even one girl said I don't want you, I want my teacher. Ha! She showed with her big attitude.. Whoa.. Okay.. Too bad, your teacher is busy right now. Silly..
Anyway that afternoon I went to another teacher. There were four students. Teacher had to split in two groups because they were on different level. Teacher started to teach two students about basic circumference. Two students learned five names: Circumference, Radius, Centre, Diameter, and Chord. Teacher gave them the work sheet to identify which name for this picture. She told the students that they cannot able to use their notes for this assignment.
In my mind, how can the students able to identify in short time. They have not practiced enough to sink in their mind. True enough, one student got frustrated and just guessed all of the pictures and raised her hand. Teacher came to check her work but gave her a big disappoint facial expression. She shake her head at each picture when the student did not get it right. The student said I did not understand--REPEAT a several times. Teacher looked at me and said, "She knew this. She can do it." At that moment, I felt awkward and grr same time. Teacher continued said you knew the answer. You can do it. Still the student said I didn't understand. Of course, it made her cry over this assignment. Teacher gave up and left to help other students.
That stab my heart because teacher ignored the student in frustrated level. I learned from my school: if I see a student gets on the frustrated level then it's too hard. I need to find instruction level for the students. So I was curious why the student didn't understand this assignment. She was able to identify awhile ago before she do the work. I decided to take step and help this student.
I bent my knees to equal her eyes. I looked at her paper and explained to her how it works. I asked her what name for this? She said, "I don't know!" with tears. I was thinking how can I help her? Teacher said she can use her notes. I asked her where was your notes? Student took the notes and show it to me. There was a notes that has a picture that has all five names on it.
This notes look like this. Actually it has more words in it, and I didn't add to that. Anyway I made those pictures.. So you can get the idea...
I asked line AB where it fits to this notes? Student guessed wrong. Again I was thinking it's not working for her. What can I do? Suddenly I got an idea how to help her. I was hoping that my idea would help her to understand. I got up and walked to the whiteboard. I draw one picture (diameter on circle) and asked her what is it? She repeated the same phrase. I wrote the name on this picture. I explained why, then I draw another picture with radius. I asked her what name for this? I went through four names with individual pictures.
That's what I draw on the whiteboard. Simple.
She finally got the concept, so I walked back to her worksheet. I showed it to her line AB, which this fits to one of circle on the whiteboard? She looked at the whiteboard and back to worksheet. Her facial expression was unsure and said radius? WOW! She got it right answer! I was cheering and told her that she got it right! Suddenly her facial expression changed into a little smile instead crying. I encouraged to do next problem. She got it right again, well, she got WHOLE problems right. She was thrilled and raised her hand for teacher to check her worksheet.
Her worksheet has about 18 problems and it has different letters and places.
Teacher was surprised how I was able to get her to understand this worksheet. I simple told her that she got confused with this specific notes and too much information on one circle. She needs to see individual picture and it helps. That's why she was so frustrated. I found her problem and able to solved her problem.
I left school to go home and pondered about this situation. Is this career right for me? I know I am in graduate school for Deaf Education, but still have some doubts after learned about Deaf Education. I was unsure about myself to teach the children. This experience helped build my confident to teach the children. I still not 100% sure. I'm still scared about my internship coming up this spring.




4 comments:
I think you will be a wonderful teacher because you are compassionate, patient and loving. You will love your students and they will love you!
All of your students that i've ever met just shout your praises. You are already a great teacher and you'll just get better!
way to go, laynie! keep it up, you will be a wonderful teacher!
Yay for you! I'm so impressed that you helped with geometry, even though you are not confident with your math skills. That was very brave of you! You will be a great teacher.
Post a Comment