Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Another Mapping

This afternoon I had an appointment with Steve. This appointment was umm interesting because something has happened. First Steve asked me to give him my cochlear implants. Allow me to explain a little so you will not get lost in this story. I'm wearing two cochlear implants, right.. I have two back-up processors. That means I have four processors, two for each right and left ears. When Steve finishes the maps, he puts them on my regular processors and my backup processors (different maps for right and left ear).

Steve hooked up my regular processors to a computer and adjusted the map for me. I explained that it was too quiet every time I left his office. Also I told him that my problem with tingly has stopped a few days ago. I had no idea how it stopped but it stopped somehow. We all were thrilled to know it has stopped; however, hoped it will continue that way from now.

I have coils on my head and the wires goes to the computer. When Steve finished adjust my mappings and started to talk with me to see if the volume was good for me. At that moment, he started to talk, it was too quiet. Steve turned to the computer to make it a bit more louder then try it again. Nope, it was still the same--quiet. Steve was puzzled and decided to try one more time. Third time it was the same! Quiet. Steve asked me if the quiet was just quiet or worse than I had before come in the office. I don't have to pause to think if it was different and gave him the answer right away--it was worse than I came in.

Steve got confused and did not know what happened. It drove us all crazy. He checked everything on the computer. He was curious enough to changed from regular processors to back-up processors. He does not change the maps on back-up processors. He asked me if I was able to hear the same as I came in. He tested me by talking to me. Yes, it was the same what I heard before I came in. MMMM..

Steve gave up and told me that he wanted to test my hearing with regular and back-up processors. He tested me all four processors but goodness he didn't test me a whole test or it will takes forever to do that. He made a quick test for all four processors, I mean individually test. He showed us the audiogram. WOW! It does show the big difference between regular and back-up processors. Regular processors were on 70 dB while back-up were on 40 dB. 30 dB is a big gap!

Steve decided to removed the map that he created for me and make it new. Actually he used the map that I had then adjust the map again. He was anxiety to see if it would make it different. Odd, it works that time! That drove Steve nuts because he cannot able to figure it out WHY it was not working. Poor Steve BUT I'm so glad it worked. Whew.

Now Steve increased volume, especially high frequency on right. Whew, that's what I hoped for when I came to the appointment. Right now I'm trying to handle the loudness. It's overwhelming for me. GRR I hate to go through this phase again and again and again!! I cannot wait to get both on stable and used to the sounds. I have no idea how long it will takes but hopefully soon. My next appointment will be on December 4th. Groans. And the good news, the tingly hasn't come back since the appointment. Fingers cross. (Only tiny tingly but not awful annoying.)

2 comments:

Tami said...

It's faascinating to follow your story. I have a VERY good friend in WA that is deaf. I learned ASL from her and am fluent. Through her I found to love the deaf community. I taught beginning ASL Sunday School until I moved away. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that you're awesome. You are an amazing person.

Laynie said...

That's neat you have a deaf friend in WA. :D I bet it's challenging to teach SS in ASL! I'm very impressed with you! :D

 
Little Leaps | TNB