Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Loud Kids


That's middle school kids.

That's me.

I'm sure my parents will like this especially my dad. My dad always complained that I'm too loud when I was young. Today I went to middle school for practicum to earn some hours. I have been there a few times. The more I go there and the more I feel so sorry for their parents as well for my parents that they went through when I was young. Frankly, I'm sick of their loudness/noises.

The kids were yelling, screaming, and use loud voice. Even kick the table, pound the table, or something to get a person's attention, even more..drop the books on the floor, tapping with pencils, hit things, being angry, and more..but I'm sure you get the idea. Sometimes I had to tell them to walk to get their attention since they cannot hear you. Really, the kids did not know how loud they were. I remember I was young and I knew I can make noise but never understood how loud that can be annoying or pain. Anyway, one student has a cochlear implant and he often makes loud noises. He thinks it was funny, but for me it was very annoying. (I do not know how much he can comprehension things "noise" around him.) I had to tell him quiet down and focus on his work. He stared at me and ignored me. After a few attempts and realized it was worthless because his teacher was deaf.

Today has opened my eyes (ears) to understand how my parents went through with me. Suddenly I realized it is difficult to explain to a deaf child how loud he/she was. Because the concept of loudness is very abstract for them, deaf children. Yes, it's true that the children can understand the concept of loudness somewhat but different way--visuals. Visual like busy--sort of same idea with distract background. Or bright clothes can be loud. But deaf children might never realized that the loudness can hurtful. Annie gave me an excellent example. When you're in a dark room, suddenly there are several thick bright lights go wild. It will hits your eyes and your eyes will screaming and shut closed automatically because it hurts.

Wearing hearing aid was completely different with Cochlear Implants. I have two good examples for you.

1. Watching a television show or a movie:

With hearing aid, I had hard time to listen the show or movie because it was not loud enough but too loud for hearing people. Sometimes I was watching and turned the volume up because I was alone at that time. I forgot to turn the volume down after I'm done with it. One of roommates turned the television, it was very interesting to see them startled and danced same time to get the volume down very quickly. I don't feel it was too loud because it didn't bothered me at all.

With Cochlear Implants, we are on the right page to watch without feeling frustrated to listen or scared anyone when they turn the television on. Oh yeah, we used old imac to hook up our television in the living room. We do not have cables, so we rely on internet for television shows. (It's nice because it's free. But sometimes it sucks because of no closed caption. I recently learned that www.hulu.com have several shows that has closed caption! YAY! Still not many shows have that still...anyway you should check it out yourself..) Anyway we had to increase the volume up because it was too quiet and the quality came from internet not television. When I wanted to watch a movie, I inserted a DVD in Blu-Ray player and changed the plug from computer to television. I turned television on--of course--the television bursted loud and it caused me dance and rushed to turn the volume DOWN. Now I understood why they danced. If I wear my hearing aid, I won't dance for sure.

2. Listening a music in car:

I'm pretty sure that Missy, Heather, and Annie can related to that because it has happened to them. It's the same idea with number 1. I turned the volume all up! I liked the bass but didn't feel it was too loud for me. And yes, I was wearing my hearing aid. There were lot of overlap noises and I wanted to listen the music. Listening to it was worthless, so having bass and little other things were better than none. Of course, I forgot to turn it down or never thought they would use this car. When they turn the key, the music suddenly became a bomb of sonic! I could remember their facial reacts when it happened to them. You see, it didn't scared me.

With my Cochlear Implants, it's a big wow because I couldn't turn the volume all UP and it was TOO LOUD for me to handle it! I would go to volume 5-7 or 9-12 (it's depend on CD quality and ipod etc. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!) on the highway. Wow. It's a big gap between a hearing aid and Cochlear Implants.
So everyday I thankful for my cochlear implants AND GRATEFUL that I was able to get both. Also everyday, well not everyday but often, I have learned something new with sounds. I can be quiet for my parents when I see them. Eh!

5 comments:

Annie said...

This is a very insightful post, Laynie. I enjoyed it. I think my kindergarteners could give your middle schoolers a run for their money! Deaf children certainly can be LOUD.

Christa said...

Yes, Annie is right, that was the most insightful post, thank you for writing it. Exessive loudness is often interpreted as rudness by hearing people and your post made me realize the great divide in deaf and hearing people. How little one side can comprehend of how the other side experiences the same incident. I am sure grateful you turned out so well, Laynie.

Roger said...

Strange, I can hardly remember how noisy you were. It is hard to hear things that are so far away (in time).

Cindy said...

Natalie laughed when she saw this. She agrees with you 100%!

Heather said...

I think you are uniquely qualified to work with these students, because now you understand both sides- Deaf and hearing. You can sympathize with both and help each side to understand the other.

 
Little Leaps | TNB