Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Second Surgery?

What is about second surgery in July? Well, my surgery appointment is on July 13th. The second surgery is to get second cochlear implant for my right ear. But it's not confirmed yet because of my insurance. I talked with my surgeon, Dr. Della Santina and he seems confidence said it should not a big problem; however, we never know what it will happens.

Beginning of March

Why do I want to have second cochlear implant on my right ear? Is one not enough for me? Well, a few years ago, people would say one is enough. Today people started to discuss two is better than one. Because we have two ears and why not have two cochlear implants.

March 27th

I talked with my audiologist, Steve about that from my fourth mapping. To be honest, I was NOT thinking about having second cochlear implant until I read about bilateral cochlear implant on websites and discussed with Annie. I realized if I feel I have learned so much from cochlear implant and still learning. I have no idea how much it will be helpful for me to have second cochlear implant because my right ear is worst than left. Usually doctor would say to put cochlear implant on the worst ear. I disagreed. I wanted to get a good chance of success, so it will going to be left.

The question is would the cochlear implant be helpful with my right ear? How much it will be benefit? I won't list what ifs. So I decided to ask Steve what he thinks and should I get second ones.

He told me that it might help about 20%, but not much. It might help me to recognize the sounds come from but it will takes me a LONG time to give brain to learn. It might help me to understand speech better, but not sure it would. He also emphasized that many people who got second cochlear implants did not regret with their decision.

After I left and got in the car to go home. Annie was driving at that time. I was silent for awhile because I wanted to sink the information in my mind. I was thinking what if what if what if.. AND is it worth try? Is it? It's driving me nuts. My hearts beating crazy. I can't decide at that moment. To my surprised that my heart beating crazy is because I really want to try it. It's more exciting than worried or stress.

I told Annie, "I think I want second cochlear implant. I need to try and see what it will be benefit to me. If I don't get second, then how can I know it might be benefit to me. I want to get that chance..."

I had to make an appointment with Dr. Della Santina to discuss about second cochlear implant and if he approve this.

April 21th

Now the meeting with my surgeon, Dr. Della Santina, and we talked about why I wanted to have second cochlear implant. Dr. Della Santina said he had to test my balance to make sure I'm okay for second cochlear implant. He was confidence and said I had no problem with my balance and I'm good to have second cochlear implant. Before I left, surgeon asked me--

Surgeon: What did you use cochlear implant for?

Me: (little puzzle) I wear my cochlear implant all the time. All day. I hate to take it off when I go bed. I get it on right away when I wake up in the morning.

Surgeon: (surprised/impressed) What did you hear?

Me: Umm many things I have heard that I have never hear before. For example last week I got home from school. The door was open from the patio. I heard something and asked Annie what the sounds were? She said bugs and birds. I was surprised! Something like that. I kept learning new sounds. Also I started to understand "Okay", but not yet confirmed. Still need lot of practice.

Surgeon: Wow.

I left and asked Annie why surgeon was surprised by my response about wearing my cochlear implant all day? Annie thought about it and remind me of one person who got cochlear implant and soon after wanted it to be removed. Also there are many deaf people who got their cochlear implant and only wear it for movie, music, and other things. Never wanted to wear all day. Again, Annie reminded me that I didn't wear my hearing aid all day. I only wear when I'm in mood or wanted to listen when I'm watching movies. Her comments make sense to me. Truly it's wasteful to get cochlear implant if only use little or never. Waste lot of $$!

Yeah, I just remembered that my old surgeon in Utah, thought I will remove my cochlear implant. Bingo! I'm grateful that Dr. Della Santina was very support and friendly. He just surprised that I wore ALL DAY and didn't want to take it off to go bed. I need to put in his shoes to see why.

I guess that's it. I have to wait until time gets closer.

2 comments:

THE NORRIS FAMILY said...

So much to think about, Laynie! You are an inspiration to me, and I love to read about what you've been learning. So much of life is learning, and taking advantage of the learning that we can potentially receive while here on earth. It's exciting!

Heather said...

It's so cool how much you have learned. I hope the second implant will help even more!

 
Little Leaps | TNB