Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Sound Quality

Last Tuesday morning, I went to see Steve, my audiology, for mapping. Steve gave me a hearing test then adjust mapping. I told him that I couldn't hear "SSS" or high frequency very well from last appointment he reduced high frequency. He fixed the problem and increased power for right C.I. while a little adjust on left C.I. I was hoping that the mapping will be good one because I will not see him until next six months which will be July.

Now today is Friday and are the mappings good? Funny--after left John Hopkins Hospital, I was thinking.. wow louder than we came in. Not much exciting yet because it always changes the next day after the mappings. The next day I noticed the sounds umm starting clear to me. Not very CLEAR but noticed there were more details in the sounds it made. I couldn't figure it out if the mappings are good or my listen skills has improved.

I remember two summers ago one deaf couples stop by our class to explain their cochlear implant experiences. I remember one man explained that it took him about a year get the picture clear. At first the picture was blur and couldn't figure what it was. Slowly the blur changes into a better quality of the picture. Finally after a year wearing cochlear implant, he can see the clear picture of US flag. His wife has one but it took her about a year and half to get the clear picture. It was very interesting to listen their experiences and how they made the process with their cochlear implants. (Both have only one cochlear implant.)

I couldn't understand fully how he felt about things became clear to him until now. I have noticed the sounds starting to get better quality. Still it's taking slow processing in my head to recognize the sounds from the environment around me. I'm hoping it will continue making the sounds clear. I started enjoy to listen the game effects, noticed movie people used emphasize words, uhh -- many things!

Annie got out of shower and dressed. I was in my bed and playing a game on my iPhone. I told Annie I can hear when she turned the shower on and got in. I can hear her walk away or under the water in the shower. Also I can hear when she was washing her hair or body whatever because where the water hits. The water made different when you're under or blah. Oh I don't have to explain in details.. BUT Annie was surprised how much I can hear and said..wow, that mapping must be very GOOD!

That surprised me--I think the mapping IS GOOD! I'm hoping that I will continue growing and able to get better before the next appointment this July. I really wanted to pull my dB up. Right now I'm on 35-40 dB. (Steve have been reduced LOT because of my left tingly problem.. Good news, I haven't had a tingly since last appointment.) Steve said my mind is still learning and hoping it will changes. One thing was interesting when Steve said having biliteral will take longer to process than unbil. INTERESTING! I should keep my mind about that!





0 comments:

 
Little Leaps | TNB