

Yes, that's me teaching the class. (3rd grade)
Today I had a chance to teach 3rd grade deaf kids for 70 minutes at deaf school. GOSH! For two whole weeks, the class has squashed me badly. Umm I think I have exaggerated on that part, grins. I'm safe to say the class had grilled me to a well-done burger, not a burned burger.
I was anxious about teaching the kids for a whole week before today. I couldn't bear the horrible images in my head. All of those images were filled of being failure nor out of control with kids. I had to make lesson plans (individual lesson for one content such as math, science, language art, etc), SRP (prepared lessons for two weeks or depends on themes how long to teach that topic), and other things. I hate to do SRP. Groans.
Top of all, I'm extreme SCARED to teach the special needs kids in middle school starting in two weeks for my internship. My internship will last ten weeks. I'm swallowing my own spits for a "gulp" as knowing the day is coming up so quickly as a cheetah chasing a gazelle. Gosh. Why am I comparing with everything?! What's heck wrong with me? I think I'm experiencing nervous breakdown at that moment.
Breathing in and out. If you haven't hear from me in ten weeks, then you'll know why. Obviously I might be burden by the ocean----way deeper than the color of blue (or cyan). I think I better stop blah blah over being scared. Okay, when I was teaching the kids and it surprised me greatly.
You must wondered why I said it has surprised me. Um, I was surprised how much I enjoyed being teaching the kids. It has opened my eyes and knew I made the right decision by choosing this career. Lately I was battling with myself that I really do not want to teach kids because of lot of work, meetings, papers work, etc. I know it sounds lame but I'm afraid that I was not good enough for this.
Oh boy! I guess I can make it work. Eh, that means I need to improve many areas such as my English, creative how to teach, or how to find the resources to use for the lesson. My English is poorly and it made more difficult for me to be vulnerable to show my weakness of English. Cured to myself!
One of my classmates made my day bright by telling me that I HAVE to teach elementary because of my teaching skills. Another classmate mentioned that she noticed the kids draw me than two others students teaching. My "team" classmate said that I'll be a good mother, eh. So I guess they liked how I did with my "borrowed" kids this morning. That's what I had for this morning--I taught 3rd grade for 70 minutes. (Well, not really...whole 70 minutes because I have a team to teach and we takes a turn to teach the lesson.) Anyway, I did it, liked it, and happy that I had wonderful new experiences.

6 comments:
Kids are just like dogs--they can smell your fear!
You will do great!
I am glad that you did so well and that it was a career affirming experience. You will be a great teacher!
You are a WONDERFUL teacher! I have always had faith in you and now I'm glad that you are gaining more confidence in yourself! ILY
It sounds terrifying to me too. You can do it! I am sure it will get easier over time.
Of course you are a great teacher! I'm really glad you are starting to realize it yourself, too. Wish i could sit in on your classes like i used to! :)
I can see how intimidating that would be! Good for you to get through it. I'm happy for you, that you've found something that's right for you. Go for it!!
Post a Comment