Annie and I discussed what time we should leave our apartment to get to church early to get things ready. Annie need to explain the bishopric how it works when she interpret for me, where to sit, etc. We decided to leave 8am. We usually leave at 8:30am for 9am meeting. I was getting nervous about my talk.
Annie got up early to prepare the lesson for primary. I got up awhile later and get ready for church. We left the apartment at 8:05am. We hit the road and arrived church at around 9:45am. I almost missed my chance to give a talk.
WHAT? 9:45?! The church starts at 9am, right? What happened?! We should arrive at the church at around 8:35am but ended up got there 9:45am?! Did alien got us? Did we missed the road? Did something block the road? Did the police stopped us for speeding (but it shouldn't take us that long!) Did something has happened on our way to the church?
Well, I am more than grateful and beyond of anything to Heavenly Father for protect us this morning because we could died this morning. We have witnessed horrible accident, just one car accident--not two. I took the pictures from Annie's cellphone to give you some ideas why I said we could died this morning. I wish I can get closer for better picture, but I couldn't. People would think I have no feeling if I do that.
click on that picture to enlarge for better visual

That guy went about 50 mph from north on 30 Route. We were driving from south the opposite side. I did not remember how fast we went but we were not in hurry. I was very nervous about giving a talk. I was looking at the paper and stared at the street. I saw that silver SUV on left side but suddenly the SUV started to drifting to right--in our lane! I felt Annie noticed that and slow down as hoping that the person in SUV might realized what he has done and get back in his lane. Nope, he didn't! I do not think I did blink even one at that scene. I just stare--horrible and everything I feel couldn't move. It's like a classic movie with slow motion, but really it was happening so FAST because he was speeding.
I even had time to make a map for you to understand what I mean. It looked wrong to me because the length but give you some ideas.

So Annie stopped fast and I saw EVERYTHING from there to there. I even saw how front window smashed, but not shattered. Annie and I saw same and different. I told Annie to call 911 FAST. She couldn't find her cellphone. I found it backseat and gave it to her then got out of the car and ran to the SUV. Inside of me, I really DO NOT want to go and check on that person to make sure he is okay. Annie was talking to person on cellphone. I had to forced myself to get close to see inside of SUV. At first, I was looking at right side of SUV but realized I couldn't see very well because it was umm smashed so badly. I had to go left side which I REALLY DON'T WANT to go there.. I was so scared to see bloody, missing parts, open body, etc. It wasn't my best part to handle this situation like Tim, Heather, and Dad could handle.
Anyway, I forced myself to look inside of driver's side. I saw mexico man in 40's. He looked unstable. He was like dizzying as trying to figure it out what happened to him. He speak something I don't understand but I gesture stay. At least there were no blood on his face. The airbag saved his face. But I saw the left side, I couldn't believe but it looked like that driver's legs might pinned (possibly cut off). Actually the driver was pinned pretty serious. He couldn't move at all except his head and one of his arm (right). Goodness, it was only one in this SUV, not a family or something like that. Anyway, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to step back and check with Annie. But I smelled something stinky.. I got afraid because of gas. I saw that SUV was leaking. I told Annie I smelled something and it was NOT good news. Annie told me that she heard buzz. We realized where the noise came from--that pole SUV hit.
That pole hold two logs for wires. Top of log broke in half and fell! But lucky, it fell and got stuck. We got scared because it might fell and hit that SUV and us. We were in bad position. After about five minutes, the police arrived and asked who has witnessed this accident. It turned out that only Annie and me saw everything. He asked us to stay and fill the form to describe how it happens.
Finally more police cars, firetrucks, ambulance, etc. Of course, add to this listing, BGE truck to check that pole. But BGE left and came back after everything cleaned on that street to avoid troubles. I realized I might missed my talk at church. I asked Annie to call the church to warn them that I might not make it because of this situation. Annie tried to call but failed because of disconnect or busy. Annie gave up.
The police came to us and ask to explain how it happened. He asked if that driver was in our lane. Annie answered yes. THAT hit us so hard. It caused me feel sick and shake, Annie too. I realized we could die because both of us went fast. I think that SUV went faster than we went. The police was upset with that idea but glad that we were okay.
Annie told me that she heard police officers were discussing who was that man. They couldn't find ID of him. It seems the SUV wasn't his. The police told us it turned out "special situation" and asked us stay to wait for the investigator to arrive. We need to explain it to investigator. It sounds like that man could possible doing illegal, immigrant, or something! Oh boy..
I looked at what they were doing with that SUV. They were trying to cut SUV roof off, basically, rip the SUV apart to free that man. They realized that taking him to the ambulance was not good enough so had to get a helicopter to get the man to the hospital.
After an hour, we were done with everything and both of us were sick. Annie was going to cry. I was going in shock--more likely body shaking so much. We decided to go home because I couldn't focus if I go to the church. But we were stuck because of police cars, firetrucks, etc blocked us. But they were starting to leave the scene bit by bit after the helicopter took the man. We finally able to turn and go home.
After about five minutes, Annie and I started to discuss if we should go back to church. We changed our mind and turn again to get on the right track to the church. I don't know if there would be enough time for me to give a talk. We finally arrived at 9:45am. I need to copy one page from my talk for Annie because somehow it printed only two pages and I have three pages. While Annie was trying to copy the page, I went to the meeting and try to get counselor's attention that I'm here. He saw me and smile. He seems happy to see me here. I gesture that I'll be right back. I walked back to the library and told Annie that I'm still on for talk. Suddenly one of counselors left the meeting and meet us. We explained what happened then went in the meeting.
I'm on for a show. I even had to tell why I arrived late but simple. I started my talk right away. My legs still tremble. I got through for ten minutes. I'm done. My talk was over. I sat down and was about to melt on the seat. The meeting was over. A lot of people came to me and said good talk! I love your talk! Thank you for your wonderful talk! Blah blah blah. Funny, it was almost too much for me! Haha.. (They might shocked that I can think...) Anyway, I knew we made right decision turn back to church. We were planning to go home after second hour, but ended up stayed for whole meetings. I feel a bit better and more calm than we came in.
Whew, that morning exhausted me. That sucks because the picture of man in SUV, the look of SUV, etc still popping in my head. I tried to push it away or put it in trash but couldn't. That took me back on my mission in Olathe, KS. I had a car accident on the highway. I remember how it happened and all people working on us (me and my companion). I remember that the holy ghost was with me to communication with people even my companion was in shock. I knew Heavenly Father protected us--we didn't get any major injuries from this horrible car accident, only minor injuries. Everyone were surprised that we survived in this car accident and got minor injuries. In ER couldn't believe their eyes that we were okay after heard how it happened. I felt I was lucky, but I realized Heavenly Father loved me so much and let me alive longer. That remind me of one story in Book of Mormon, what story? Umm, olive trees? Yeah, it is about olive tree and I think it's in Jacob? Ah, yup! Jacob chapter 5.
After witness this morning, I can imagine how the man felt. It has sinked in my heart and grateful Heavenly Father for protect me--again. I hate the feeling of lump in my throat when I think about it. But I'm okay for now.



5 comments:
I'm glad you are ok.
Hey, is that a broom on your back window?
i had something similar happen once. it is pretty scary. i'm glad that you weren't hurt, but i bet giving your talk became the least of your worries that day.
Yikes! Nothing like a close call with death to make you appreciate being alive. I am glad that you are alive.
I can't believe you could focus enough to give a talk after seeing that! I'm so glad you didn't leave home 3 seconds earlier.
That sounds so scary! I would have been just as nervous as you to go see how that man was doing. I don't do well with emergencies because my mind goes blank.
I'm so glad you are ok!
Post a Comment