I couldn't believe this week was my third week of internship. It was fun and exhausted. Speak of being exhausted, I had to do a bulletin in the classroom. The lesson was about the Civil War, I have to teach for two weeks. It required a LOT of my energy to teach those boys to understand what it was about even though they are in sixth grade. They do not have great cognitive--that means they couldn't remember what they learned from yesterday. Maybe lucky if the topic was their favorite--then it will become repetitive. You know repetitive can be annoying.
More visual, less words. No problem but need to pull my hair out of my skull to find something to provide those boys to LEARN, UNDERSTAND, or EXPRESSED something--such as I asked the students to guess what confederacy is.. Seriously--the students just sit and stared at me. Nothing! Perhaps one boy would say something but it would be a WAY OFF! Or they will copy me if I said which no or yes? Honestly, it's depend on what topic to teach because one boy know history more than other students. Another student know math more than others, etc.
Anyway--I tried to think something simple for the bulletin. YES! I got an idea and discussed with Annie for some more idea. I was thinking to split in two top for Union and bottom for Confederacy. I thought it was good idea. It took me a few days finally to start do the bulletin. It took me two days to finish it because on that day the teacher had an emergency and left me the responsible to take care of the class all day. Yikes!
I got through this day. The next day I finished up and the bulletin. I took a picture and email it to Annie to show off my bulletin. Guess what she told me? "Wow! It looked great. I noticed wrong spelling on Confederay. You forgot c. It's Confederacy." That made me MAD because I thought I did it perfect! But I haven't had my chance to fix the problem until last Monday.
A group of visitors came and look around in our classroom. One lady saw the bulletin and said she liked it lot but (what else..) she said that word is wrong. GRRRR! The teacher said I need to fix it right away, so I did. Sighs. I feel very IDIOT on that day.
Anyway, this bulletin is not really finished. I still need to add the word under the pictures. Add a bit more for Confederacy. Sighs.. but that's my bulletin. I did fix the word but haven't take the picture yet.

5 comments:
ARG! So much work though -and I think it is a GREAT way to teach and help the students remember. History, espeically with all the new vocabulary, is SO tough to teach! KEEP IT UP! YOU'RE DOING GREAT!
I have done that before, made a great poster only to find out when it was done that I made spelling errors. When all our concentration goes to the artistic aspect is easy to over look the spelling. Your poster looked good!
I hope Dad will get a chance to put our tv together again this week so we can talk again.
Poor Laynie--I feel your pain. But, the story did make me laugh.
Other than the missing C your bulletin board looked really nice. That is a lot of work!
Nice job. Take heart, we've all goofed up before. Even that teacher. :)
I think I actually like it better your way.
Post a Comment