Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Officially Bilateral

Annie twisted my arm to take a picture before going to the appointment. I looked at the picture and felt that I'm nerd because of my bangs. Well, last night I got my haircut. I still do not like how it looks with my bangs.

I arrived at John Hopkins Hospital and was early for the appointment. That's fine with me so I can play one game on my DS while waiting. Before I went to the lobby area, I had to sign in to let them know that I'm here. I found out that I will have an interpreter. I did not request for an interpreter. I always liked Annie because she knows the history and what signs to use etc. I guess that's okay and hope that I will have a good interpreter that time.

The interpreter showed up, in my mind--NOOOOOOO! Yup, she was WAY WORSE interpreter than rest I had at hospital! Good thing that Annie was there so she can tell me what's going on after we left my appointment. Oh gosh, true enough that I have learned so much on way home than at my appointment! The interpreter struggled to interpret for me. Annie sometimes had to help her (not lot) when the interpreter was stuck. For example, she told Steve that I like beeping loudness test better than drumming ART test, which is the opposite of what I said! And she added things that Steve did not say, like told me to bring something next time that I do not need to bring.

Other example the interpreter said Steve said I can switch the colors if I want. (Blue to right, red to left). I was thinking why he asked me that. I answered no and if I changed my mind, I'll let him know. Steve looked at me strangely and said I still can change your mind and bring the processors next week. I was confused but told him okay.

I asked Annie when we were on the road to home. I told her and she said that's not what Steve said. FYI: I have two blue processors for the left (one is backup) and two red processors for the right. He said that he can make it one blue and one red for each side, so I can have them match if I want. OH BINGO! I understand WHY he repeated about this. Oh brother!

I do have many examples but it's worthless to complain and the topic is not about the interpreter. It's about ME! :D

OH ONE MORE thing about the interpreter--Steve was explaining to his student (intern) how to do with computer. The interpreter said that I was his first bilateral patient. I was puzzled because I knew it's not true. He have tons of clients and I'm pretty sure he had some experiences with bilateral patients. Of course, I asked Annie and she told me that Steve really said that I was his first bilateral for Med-el. He had experienced with two other companies (Cochlear and AB). Dear.. you see the problem is, right?

This is funny picture if you know why. If you can't find what's funny about this picture, then click on that picture for bigger and look closer.

The coil that attached my right magnet to the computer. Steve tested my nerve responses to each electrode. Again it surprised me that it looks great even I haven't wore hearing aid for many years! It's same response with my left.

Finally after testing my right ear with drumming sounds then put my new right processor to find the comfortable sounds to set for my new mapping. The experience was very interesting. I was nervous about activating my right ear. The main reason is when I wear hearing aid, it sounds very different and it made tickle. I do not liked the feeling of tickle inside of my ear. I was hoping that it will not be a big problem. I know it will not be the problem since it will not go through ear drum area to the cochlea. I was relief when I heard the first sound. Somehow the sounds took me back to first activation, but this one is sightly different. I feel pulsing on my head and little on my chest but same time I can hear some normal sounds. With my first activation, everything pulsing my body--no familiar sounds. It's interesting to have a little of both. I'm happy that its much better than first activation. So I do not have to torture myself for several weeks with that pulsing and pounding inside of me.

Steve gave me four programs on my remote. That time it will be different reason for doing this. I have to make sure my right is even with left. When I feel right is quieter than left, then I go for program 2. However if it is the same I leave it alone (don't touch the remote or change the program.)

I used the paper to tell Steve when it was soft, comfortable, etc.

Well, you can see my sign--"better" (When Steve asked me to put my left CI on. It became louder when both are on. Weird but I feel more balance than just having one CI. Both spread evenly in my head. Make sense?)

I fixed left CI with wire (changed the color wire) and took right CI off for some reason. Now I was trying to put both on same time. You can see my facial expression when I tried to put on especially right CI. I had no problem putting left CI on with lot of practice.

Fa-lala! See my beautiful colorful CIs! Do I look weird?

After took this picture, it was very weird to see myself having two CIs on. Too weird to think about that.

Can you see my CIs? No? Good.
Now I'm bilateral girl.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Laynie, you are such a cutie! I really enjoyed the picture documentary. I especially like the picture of you holding the red and blue processors next to your ears. I hope everything works out great! Love ya :)

Annie said...

Yay for you, bilateral girl! Hm, this activation was certainly less momentous than the first one. You heard the beeps right away. Remember the first time, you were like wait, that's sound? No way. This activation felt more like a regular mapping session.

When you are comfortable with people seeing your processors, you should wear your hair up on the sides. It looks cute that way.

Laynie said...

Haha, my hair up on the sides, mom probably kill me for that. I don't know.. :D Probably it will happen in a few years later.

Cindy said...

I thought your bangs were cute, and I couldn't figure out what was funny in the first picture. Was it the magnet stuck to your back?

I can't wait to hear how things go for you now that you are balanced.

Good luck with school, too.

Laynie said...

Yeah, the magnet was on my back. It fell and I didn't know that. They were busy trying to hook it up but they didn't realized it was not working because the magnet wasn't on my head. I struggled to find the right place. :D I didn't know about that until Annie took the picture and told me why it was not working.. :D

 
Little Leaps | TNB