Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

New Ward

Ya'll know that I moved to Columbia, around 40 minutes south from where I used to live, Owings Mills. Annie bought a Condo last June. Living in a Condo was wonderful blessing than living in an apartment. No more loud kids, no more crowd cars, no more loud neighbors, NO MORE DOGS BARKING!!!, and many more. This place have trees around us. It was beautiful sight to look at while sitting on the couch in the living room. 


Okay, enough with that. We ended up transferred different ward from Hampstead Ward to Columbia 2nd Ward. I checked the LDS website and put the new address, it assigned us to Columbia 2nd. Soon after, I learned that ward have two deaf people. I was wondering who would it be. Maybe it will be good for me. 


Annie and I went to Stake conference and I ended up met two deaf people. One deaf woman with her husband and the kids. Other single deaf man. My heart dropped when I saw that deaf man because I knew him and I did not want to be near to him. (He fell in love with me and put a big pressure on me to say yes to go out with him. He is ..umm.. TOO OLD for me!) Poor guy, I had to blunt him that I will not go out with him. He got upset and commanded me to date with him because it's proper way. Guys, I do not want to go far with this. Now you get some idea why I do not want to be near with him. 


My heart sinks because I will have to face that deaf guy after we transfer to this ward. Annie and I got home and do whatever our things. I was thinking about the new ward. I really want to feel happy and able to focus on the spirit. I wanted to know what time the ward starts and which building we will go to. I checked the website again. I put our new address on the LDS website. I saw it gave us different information. I was puzzled--it said Columbia 1st. I can't believe this. I had to rub my eyes to make sure my eyes do not trick me. Yup, it did say Columbia 1st. 


I had to told Annie that we are in Columbia 1st, NOT Columbia 2nd. I do not know what happened but I was so happy to know that I do not have to handle that poor man. In fact, my worries were not over yet. I was worried to meet people in the new ward. 


I have been attending this new ward since June and I knew Heavenly Father lead us to this ward. Let me tell you why. Annie told RS presidency not to put us together as Visiting Teacher companion because Annie want me to make new friends without depend on Annie for communication. (Blah) Guess what? I ended up got a companion sister who can sign! The wonderful part was that we were assigned to visit three sisters. Actually, one sister. (Long story, different topic) That sister we visited know some sign language! She wanted to learn sign language! 


Awesome part that one of sister who visit me, she can sign as well! She does not sign very well but wanted to improved her signing language skills! I haven't met her companion yet but she said she wanted to learn as well. Wow, I felt I was truly blessed to be in this new ward. 


It wasn't over yet! Annie, I, and RS Presidency were discussing and I offered to give sign language classes for the ward to learn so they can communicate with me. They liked that idea. RS President talked with Bishop. Bishop approved and asked me if I can teach other wards as well. Yikes! Too much! I told him I will start our ward first and see how it went then we will work on it. 


Now I'm nervous because this Thursday I will start to teach sign language class to my ward. Yesterday the bishopric made an announcement about sign language class in the sacrament meeting! I think I can feel my sweating is about to start to come out of my skins. Oh yeah, I went in the chapel and wait for the meeting to start. There were two cute young women were exciting to see me and wave to me. They wanted to take sign language class. Well, I guess I will see them this Thursday. 



So far, those people--I LOVE THEM! They were so nice and friendly. I was happy to be in this new ward and I was relief to know that I'll be okay for several years. 

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm so happy for you. Emily wants to learn sign too. She tried to text you a while ago, but I guess we did not have your current number. Can you recommend any website or videos for her?

Missy said...

I am glad you are excited about your new ward. You are a great teacher and they are lucky to have you!

Heather said...

How wonderful! I'm so glad that you like your new ward. I am sure they are all going to LOVE you and and your ASL class. Wish i could come!

Anonymous said...

That's so neat, Laynie! You're the perfect one to do it. You're so patient and helpful. Plus, you are completely likable. What is it with you? People just love you!

Tami said...

This is an old post, but I'm reading through your blog now. Are you still teaching classes? Our ward in WA state started the ASL Sunday School. One deaf man taught the class. The first class was to learn ASL, then the advanced class was to learn the lesson via ASL. It was great! Then I later became the teacher for the beginner class and I LOVED it! We signed all verses of Silent Night with the ward choir at Christmas. I really miss ASL and my deaf friends. I hope you're doing well.

 
Little Leaps | TNB