I got....
Well, it's not really permanent job yet but the person who hired me said it might become permanent if I did a good job with the position. I do not know when it will become permanent or will I keep the position for sure. At least I have a full-time job for ten months with benefits, an office, a computer, not great salary to start with but it's something to support myself for now, and happy to know that I'm alive for ten months.
It's sort of funny how I got a full-time job. And it's sort of long story. I'll make a long story short for you.
I'll create names so you wouldn't get lost in this long short story.
Bossest: Sabrina
Bosser: Judi
Boss: Ben
I applied a full-time position at University and waited for Judi, the bosser, to tell me the date for interview. About two or three weeks ago, Judi told me that I wasn't invited for an interview because they found better. I was disappointed because I was qualified for this position but I assumed the person must have PhD or something "wow" Judi and Ben.
Judi offered me to teach Tuesdays and Thursdays morning (two more classes, right now I have two night classes). I had to turn down the offer because the pay wasn't great and what if I got a job offer and would not able to work full-time because of that. So night classes would be considered to be extra $$ for me if I got another job offer.
So I applied another position at high school to teach American Sign Language (ASL) as foreign language. I was very impressed with their program. I felt that their program was organized and much better than the University. I thought maybe that one would be better for me. And much less commute! University would be 40 minutes without traffic.
I had to go through pain of screening, first interview, etc. for high school. During the screening I hit the score what they wanted from me, but I learned that high school principal does not want to hire any deaf teacher. She thinks deaf are not able to handle high school students because of communication. She does not want to hire interpreter because they will have to pay for it. AND ASL teacher, she is hearing, was going to retire (that's why the position was open) and told the principal that deaf cannot teach ASL classes. Principal believed her.
The worse part that the principal said if they (HR, etc) want to hire a deaf teacher, she might drop the ASL program. OHHHH! (Rolling eyes)
So during the screening, I met her and she said nothing to me. NOTHING! Serious, she just ignored me. The person who screened me was so embarrassed and explained to me what happened. Uh oh. Somehow I wanted to show them that I can teach and do not need interpreter for my ASL classes. I never need one for eleven years! I was qualified for first interview AND invited for second interview. Both turned out GREAT! Now I had to wait for third and final interview--that one will have to interview with THAT school principal.
I have been waiting for that interview more than two months. I have emailed and asked any idea.. The HR person said they have to find a place for ALL current teachers to make sure they have a job before they hire new teachers. Oh boy, they are STILL working on it. Blame on Union. :S
I even told one elementary school that I'm interested for a position to take one teacher's position. So far I applied three jobs. I was about to apply some more jobs.
Last Thursday late afternoon, I got an email from Sabrina, Bossest, and asked me if I'm interested full-time job but it will be a temporary visiting position for two semesters. Sabrina hopes they can renew it for a few years then make it permanent. So that sounds good, they will pay me little better than adjunct pay. But the position will require more work than just teach ASL classes. I will have to attend the meetings (blah), advise undergraduate students, assist with helping new ASL 1 instructors, etc.. AND I'll have an office and computer to keep myself busy.
Sabrina also said I'll teach four ASL classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays morning. (Umm that's what Judi offered me before...) Not bad. But Sabrina wanted to know the answer---now.. I had hard time to make a decision if I really want that job or not. It is so far to drive and not great pay but better than adjunct. Yikes Yikes Yikes! The next day, I knew the offer was best one so I accepted the offer. Now I'll start my full-time job starting this fall. It's a bit overwhelming because I will need to learn many things new to prepare myself to advise undergraduate students, etc. But same time I'm excited to improve my skills through serve the students, staff, and myself. :D
Well, I made it long story short. I now have a full-time job for ten months and hopefully everything will work out with staff. That one I haven't share the juices with you. Juices are unimportant, but the important is I HAVE A JOB! Heehee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
YIPPEE-HOORAY!!!
CONGRATULATIONS, LAYNIE!!!
WE KNEW YOU COULD DO IT AND ANYBODY WHO DIDN'T WANT TO HIRE YOU IS A DUMB-DUMB!!!
Laynie! I finally got on Blogger... I didn't know hearie teacher at HS said deaf can't teach! What a rat! BAD DOG!! But yay hooray for new job! You will show them what they've been missing ;) We should have fondue night at new condo to celebrate! And I should visit you at new job :))))
ps I forgot about the sad bird story until I just saw this... I'm sorry, I almost giggled a little even though I know it was sad and horrible... but when it happened and I teased you I liked it :D and I felt bad too... but I still liked it a little :D heehee
So happy for you!! You are going to do an awesome job! Lots of love from Utah :)
Congratulations!! Your news was like a sigh of relief for me. We all have one less thing to worry about now! I am so happy for you!
Hooray for you!
I love your description of boss, bosser, and bossest. Very funny--and accurate.
Post a Comment