Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

So Weird!!



Last night I was walking to the computer to check something. Annie was in the living room reading a book or watching television. Annie called me and I heard something. I turned to see what Annie wanted from me. She said, "Come! Fireworks!!" I got confused, got up, and ran to the balcony to see the fireworks.


True enough, we could see the fireworks across the street. We were on the second floor of apartment. The fireworks were BIG--like July 4th. We were puzzled and wondered why fireworks. We couldn't figure it out. About five minutes, it stopped. We thought it has ended. It only stayed for temporary.

We went inside of the apartment. After about few minutes, fireworks started again! We ran again to see the fireworks. Several fireworks startled me because of loud. Annie laughed because it did to her too. She asked me if I hear it first before feel or feel first before hear. To be honest, I don't know which comes first! I assumed it was hear first before feel. It leave us wondered about that. More likely it left Annie wonder about this a lot. She thought it was hear first and makes us feel scared or startled from loud sound. I told Annie I feel big bursts inside of me when some of fireworks explosion. Some were so loud and some were not so loud. I thought sometimes I could feel it and hear it.. sometimes just hear it.

Of course, it has sank in my head about this. Anyway, the fireworks has stopped and started again about 15 minutes later. It continued for about two hours! We still couldn't figure where it comes from and why doing this. Annie tried to find some information on the internet but no luck.

After about one hour, we were watching television show. I still could hear the fireworks from outside. We gave up because of long pauses. We were not sure if it ends that time or not. Annie asked me if the bursts feeling was because of sounds. I was not sure about that. I have been pondering about this and realized she might right about this.

After the shows, we got tired and went to bed. I was about to sleep, but Annie shake me and said, "A lot of fireworks!!!" Of course, I got up and ran to the window to see the fireworks. Those fireworks were so big and many at same time! I realized something different this time. No bursts feeling......because the cochlear implants were not on my head. That answered our wonders. Wow! THAT was so weird! With cochlear implants, I feel big bursts when I have cochlear implants on. Without, it's worthless.. I'm sure I could feel only if I was close enough.

That took me to a few weeks ago, during my internship, there were a big dance party at school. All people go to the gym and have fun. Of course, there were two big speakers, lights, etc. When I get in the room, OH MY GOODNESS!! It was so loud and lot of bursts! Now I looked back and remember when I was in high school or sometimes in college, we had dance. They had big speakers. But I couldn't feel that BIG bursts. I need to be close to the speakers to feel some bursts. WOW! That was so weird when I think more about it.

What do you think of that? Have you thought about that before? It was so weird to think about it. Amazing, uh?

1 comments:

Tim said...

I am pretty sure that the sound and the "feeling" reach you at the same time. what we hear and what we feel are the same sensation--vibrations, or pressure waves, moving through the air. An explosion like a firework would send big sound waves for miles. The ear, obviously, is specially designed at detecting and amplifying those sound waves, especially at higher frequencies. The vibrations you feel in your bones and chest, are usually a lot lower in frequency (like the bass at the school auditorium or the boom of a firework). High and low frequency sound waves travel at the same speed through air (though, low frequencies travel further). You are probably noticing this more with you CIs because you ears are amplifying all the other intense sound frequencies that the fireworks make. Cool experience, Laynie!

 
Little Leaps | TNB